Coalition Members Meet MLA’s to Discuss Concerns
Volunteers from the Save the Concordia ER Coalition met with Blair Yakimoski and James Teitsma earlier this month to share our concerns about the planned closure of the Emergency Department in June 2019.
The issues we raised with the two MLA’s included:
- Closing the Concordia ER is irresponsible and will reduce access to healthcare in northeast Winnipeg.
- A walk-in clinic is not an acceptable replacement for the ER.
- We feel we are being treated as statistics, not community members.
- The growing population in northeast Winnipeg needs upgraded access to healthcare, not closures.
- There was no consultation with citizens in northeast Winnipeg before or after the closure was announced.
We reminded the MLA’s that they are elected by us to represent the best interests of their constituents and closing the Concordia ER is an risky decision. We have talked to many families, seniors and neighbours in our community and the overwhelming response is of deep-seated fear, concern and disbelief.
The coalition will continue to fight the closure and will be asking other MLA’s in the area for meetings in the near future.
Send a message to your MLA here: http://savetheconcordiaer.com/take-action/